Wells cruise to comfortable win

It’s not too often these days a Wednesday night game comes around as every club seems to prefer a Tuesday so when Tunbridge Wells announced a fixture change to the middle of the week it would’ve been rude not to make the journey and also catch up with a couple of long time mates of mine.

A league fixture was to be my third trip to the Culverden Stadium this season with K Sports the visitors. My previous two trips saw the Wells opening game in the FA Cup, a 1-0 win over Erith Town and the top two league encounter against Welling Town at the end of last month when they came from 2-0 down to take a point at 2-2, a lucky omen coach Luke Carpenter called me before this midweek visit.

Not only that a promise of the season ticket should the unbeaten run continue that evening, we’ll see if that ends up on the door mat in the next few days! Building a network when you are a promising writer is the key to getting your work out there and getting different material from all levels of the game. I’ve promised to get around to all the guys who have been good to me this year and despite not being able to get into some grounds or even clubhouses I’m making the most of at least a quick catch up before kick-off, this one no different with Rich Styles, Dan Morrin and Carps of course.

An unbeaten start to the league season for the Wells so far has put them in amongst clubs such as Corinthian, Sheppey and Chatham Town so they know that to stay in the group of pacesetters they need to keep winning.

The game started off in similar fashion to my previous trip, Wells kicking up the slope and making all the early running and chances but not able to find the net, Euan Sahadow went closest with a rasping shot that failed to curl back towards the far post. With the Wells attacking all will down both flanks through Sahadow and Regan Corke it surely wasn’t going to be long before the hosts went in front.

It took however until the 28th minute for the home side to make the breakthrough, Miles Cornwell heading home unmarked in the six yard box for a deserved Wells lead. Nine minutes later and it was two, Sahadow looked as if he’d missed his opportunity before swivelling and planting the sweetest of shots past keeper Matt Palmer to give the Wells a half time scoreline their first half play deserved.

Whilst Sports were tidy in possession until the final third of the pitch, Wells were dominant going forward with the link up play from left full back to right wing very evident throughout the half, Corke having the beating of the wing back every time.

Whilst the encounter with Welling Town made it look like the Wells would pay for not scoring in the opening 20 minutes, there wasn’t much danger Sports would punish the home side.

Although they came out with more attacking purpose in the second half the visitors never really tested Wells keeper Aaron Lee-Wharton enough and despite the Wells being a bit sloppier in possession there were chances for Sahadow and Josh Froggatt to make the game safe for the hosts and with an out and out striker the home side probably would have hit five or six in the end.

Another three points though pushes the Wells up to 2nd in the table before the weekend games a point behind the leaders Corinthian having played a game more. With games to come against the table toppers and fellow top four side Sheppey in the next five weeks, a few unbeaten records might have to topple soon………..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s